Ways to stay well during the winter season
Follow these tips to stay healthy and keep others healthy this flu season:
1. Wash your hands frequently during the flu season. Use soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rinse (alcohol rinses are available at all pharmacies and should contain at least 60 percent alcohol). Remember to wash your hands for 20 seconds.
2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Viruses are often spread after a person touches something that is contaminated with the virus and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth.
3. Avoid contact with people who are sick. If your coworker is ill, steer clear of his or her sneezes and coughs. When possible, avoid shaking hands with someone who is ill with a respiratory infection. If you are caring for an ill family member, wash your hands frequently and minimize proximity to his or her face.
4. Cover your mouth or tuck it into your elbow when coughing or sneezing and encourage others to do so. Wash your hands afterward.
5. Stay home if you have a respiratory infection when possible. A general guideline is to stay home 24 hours after fever resolves off medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
These are basic suggestions to help you be aware. ALWAYS seek the advice of a medical profession with any questions or concerns about your health.