A new season is upon us – A change of season often brings about a transformation in our lives, prompting us to move forward with plans formerly shelved and hoping to make a change or check things off our list before the holidays arrive. So if you’ve been toying with the idea of buying a home and finally making that move, we’d like to offer a few common mistakes and pitfalls to avoid during the process:
1. One of the most common mistakes homebuyers make is getting caught up in the emotion of buying a home. “Falling in love” with a place doesn’t always make it right, so it’s best to take a step back and consider these essential factors when you find a home you “love”:
• Price – Is this home within our budget? Is there any wiggle room? Don’t overextend yourself, or you may regret it before you’ve even had time to unpack.
• Location – Is this where we want to live? How is the neighborhood? What are the people like? Is there an HOA that will limit my creativity?
• Investment – Remember, buying a home is one of the most significant investments you’ll make, so be sure your “must-haves” line up with this type of purchase.
2. Don’t take shortcuts. In today’s marketplace, you want to make sure you don’t buy a house sight unseen or skip any crucial inspections. Going the extra mile by hiring your own plumbing company to ensure the pipes are in good condition or having your contractor or interior designer do a walk-through with you are some ideas to ensure the home you’re buying is ready for move-in. Despite the lower inventory in today’s marketplace, skipping any steps can only lead to future headaches, so take your time to get it right!
3. Don’t move too quickly. As we’ve mentioned before*, make sure you know your financial status, that you’re pre-approved for a loan, and that you’ve met with your realtor so s/he knows your wants, needs, and expectations. If you’re searching for a new agent, connect with one of our team members here to get started. Making sure you’ve got everything lined up before you begin your search will go a long way to ensuring a smooth transaction once you’ve found your dream home. Check out our current listings and happy hunting!